“It’s disgusting. You should be ashamed. Please stop.”SPOILERS AHEAD!
This page contains a lot of information in later events or versions. You may inevitably spoil yourself.
|Surname Name||Imai Imani|
|Birthday (Age)||March 7th (n/a)|
|Type of Character||Side|
|Height||5′ 6′′ (170cm)|
Imani was born and raised in Ghana to two unnamed parents. Her family was large, having three older brothers and three older sisters, though she was only partly related to them, having a different biological father. Thanks to her heritage, though, she was able to apply for Japanese citizenship, moving to Kumon-Mi right before the border went up.
In the following years, she studied to become a teacher, eventually landing a temporary gig as Wakana's substitute after her hospitialization. After Wakana returned, Imani was moved into Sensei's class, becoming his assistant teacher after the school decided he needed one with his bad teaching skills.
Imani is extremely charismatic, easily playing off and bantering with even the most sarcastic and dry members of the cast. She's also very outgoing, being able to easily assimilate herself into Sensei's class by confronting her introduction head-on, and inviting Rika to join without needing to work up the courage. Together, these traits allow her to glide through awkward, emotionally-charged, or tense conversations with ease.
She's also incredibly honest about her shortcomings, plainly admitting to Sensei that she often struggles to truly feel she belongs somewhere. In addition, she was desperate to make friends before meeting Wakana and Sensei.
Imani is Sensei's student teacher, and the two get along remarkably well, much to everyone's surprise. Imani's outgoing and energetic nature can effortlessly bounce off Sensei's dry and apathetic one. She likes him a lot, both as a friend and as a superior, the latter mostly because he lets her essentially teach solo. Beyond that, though, she considers him her best friend, and her first real friend since moving to Kumon-Mi. She's shown to be extremely tolerant of Sensei's irresponsible personality, though this does have limits.
Underneath this friendliness, though, is a large crush which Imani initially tries to hide. Following an exposing moment between the two of them, though, she's eventually pushed into revealing these feelings. She's turned down and, while Sensei insists things between them are fine, she's shown to still worry she's ruined things.
She affectionately refers to him as "Senpai".
Osako is one of Imani's friends, meeting each other through Wakana. Little is known about their relationship, though they appear to be close, being repeat participants in their bar's trivia nights.
Rika is one of Imani's friends and later co-worker. Imani is the one who pulls Rika into her after-work friend group, and the two are shown to be very good friends from then on. The specifics of their friendship aren't seen, but Imani trusts her enough to have previously confided her about her crush on Sensei.
Imani worked as Wakana's substitute while she was in the hospital, but the two only meet after Wakana returns to school. Imani considers Wakana to be one of her friends, and she admits to lacking her a lot, though not as much as she likes Sensei. The two, along with Sensei and Rika, have a weekly tradition of drinking at the Dive Bar together.
- "I’ve been nothing but accepting and supportive of you since the get-go and you’re already getting rid of me?! Where is my lawyer?!"
- "Can see myself settling down here fifteen years from now when we accidentally reunite at a local museum and decide to go out for one last drink. You know, for old time’s sake."
- "APPARENTLY, I’m a little too old to wear a school uniform! And that it isn’t appropriate for working adults to wear them! Which totally isn’t insulting at all! I mean, it’s not like I’ve wanted to go to school with uniforms for my entire life or anything. And it’s not like you guys are only a little younger than me or anything! AND IT’S NOT LIKE I ACTUALLY CARE OR ANYTHING!"
- Imani initially introduced herself as an immigrant from Switzerland, Wales, and Alabama to Wakana.
- She similarly claimed that she was an estranged Japanese princess who'd come to Kumon-Mi to collect her inheritance.
- Despite being considered part of the Side Cast, Imani is a reoccurring part of Main Events due to her role as student teacher.